On Mining (via Minding) the Scriptures

Today I was humbled a bit to be reminded that I don't know everything, and I always have more to learn.

I have read John 6 probably more times than I could reckon up, especially since it's a "go to" in debates about the Eucharist. (This post is not about that.)

However, I have always had the idea of the conversation recorded in vss. 25-58 as being an outdoor scene.

Perhaps this is because in vs. 25 we are told, when they had found Him on the other side of the sea, and I must have just thought subconsciously, OK, they were standing on the one side of the sea (vs. 22), and now they have found Him on the other side of the sea, at the land (vs. 21).

But no.

Today, a verse that I'm sure I've read at least a dozen times finally hit my stupid brain. Verse 59 says plainly,

These things said He in the synagogue, as He taught in Capernaum.

Well paint me red and call me a firetruck. If it'd been a snake, it would've bit me!

This is an indoor conversation! Specifically, in the synagogue.

This just goes to show how important it is to pay attention, and mind every word, and also not to add in words that aren't there.

For example, it now occurs to me that even if vs. 59 wasn't there, it is yet still not justifiable scripturally to think of the scene as having taken place on the beach like I did. I mean, sure, for flavor if it helps; but let's not confuse our imagination's filler for the actual words of Scripture.

It is NOT written, when they had found Him on the beach on the other side. Rather, it IS written, when they had found Him on the other side of the sea.

Clearly this could have been literally anywhere in Capernaum, since the previous verse says, they also took shipping, and came to Capernaum, seeking for Jesus. It does not say, came to the beach at Capernaum, but only came to Capernaum, and that they were seeking for Jesus. He could have been on the street somewhere, or in the market, or at the mayor's house, or in jail, or literally anywhere in Capernaum.

In fact, apparently I've gone and done it again even now! I just limited it to in Capernaum, when further examination reveals that in fact He could have even been outside of Capernaum, so long as it was on the other side of the sea from where they started. It doesn't say, they found Him in Capernaum; only that they continued seeking for Him there once they arrived at that city. It is only written that they found Him on the other side of the sea.

Do you see how easy it is to accidentally (let alone on purpose; but that's another topic) slip words and concepts/mental pictures in that are not actually written? and even occasionally to miss entire verses (somehow) that are actually in there (and not even ambiguous), by being focused on other things in the passage?

That is, do you see how easy it is to acquire or experience a kind of "blind spot" exegesis?

I will meditate in thy precepts, and have respect unto thy ways.

I will delight myself in thy statutes: I will not forget thy word.

Deal bountifully with thy servant, that I may live, and keep thy word.

Open thou mine eyes, that I may behold wondrous things out of thy law.

I am a stranger in the earth: hide not thy commandments from me.

—Psalm 119:15-19

1. All Scripture quotations taken from the King James Version

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Non-Intervention In the Real World

Complementarianism...Why?

That Jesus Was In Fact Crucified On a Friday, According to the Scriptures