Mornings...Ugh...

I hate mornings. Perhaps this is a leftover from my childhood, and I will grow out of it eventually. Perhaps it's hereditary (my father is also not a "morning person", although he bears up under the necessity of early rising much better and more consistently than I). Or perhaps I'm just, at some level lazy. I don't know.

Either way, I hate mornings. Indeed, my worst time of day is the moment I have to arise -- not simply to awake (that is fine, as long as I can just lie in bed and "veg"), but the moment that I must actually haul my carcass out of bed. Now, that doesn't mean I don't do it. It just means that I dread doing it, and would gladly skip mornings if I could.

So, you can imagine my horror when, after having worked until 4:00 a.m. and gotten to sleep at 5:00 a.m. (today), the client for whom I was working calls my cell phone with the *ahem* wonderful news that something else was broken, and that I had to fix it immediately because the person whose job it is to do something with the process that was broken was there "now". Oh, joy!

Well, anyway, before I realized it, I was in the shower: awake and getting ready. And so I made an interesting observation: I find it much less painful to get out of bed after only a few hours' sleep (3 hrs., 49 min., to be exact, in this case) than after a full 8 or 9 hours of regular sleep.

(Of course, I wind up paying for it in dulled focus and constant need to "push" myself throughout the day; but I'll take what I can get. :) )

I've noticed this in the past as well: I can get up at oh-dark-30 to get to the airport for a 6:00 a.m. flight, or to get to the church to leave for a week of camp at 7:00 a.m.; but to get up at 8:45 a.m. (after having gone to bed at midnight) in order to get to work on time at 9:30 a.m. is absolute torture. So I suffer the same amount in either case, but if I've only gotten a few hours' sleep, the suffering is spread out.

:)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Non-Intervention In the Real World

Complementarianism...Why?

That Jesus Was In Fact Crucified On a Friday, According to the Scriptures